23 January 2011

A Haiku from the Substitute

Last Friday, I spent the day in a junior high school subbing for 7th and 8th grade science. I have to say, that subbing for grades 7-12 is a whole different ballgame from the little kids I'm used to teaching. No one needs you to tie their shoes, and you never have to take a whole class bathroom break! At a middle school, you have two choices: be a friend, or paste on your mean teacher glare and get ready to rumble. I find that a mix of the two is usually the best approach.

After taking attendance wherein I inevitably mispronounce at least half of the names, I give them their assignment and that's that. Apart from meandering up the aisles and looking menacingly at noisy students, a sub must then occupy themselves for the remainder of the period. (That is, assuming that the class actually does what you ask them to do.)

I often wonder what goes on in a 7th grader's mind, after they have breezed through the assignment and are writing notes in their planners. I'll probably never know what is actually going on in their irrational thoughts, but trying to imagine their teenage woes helps to fill the time between the bells!

from the girl in the first row with mismatched laces

The substitute's shoes:
bright, orange, rubber-soled toes.
OMG! We match.

1 comment: